20/10/2010: Match reports from Saturday (16/10/2010)

Sportslink led 2-0 at the break against Frankfort FC in the 2nd round of the FAI Junior Cup and, although the home side pulled one back on 65 minutes, Dave McDonnell hit a third for Sportslink with ten minutes to go to secure the win. Earlier, Keith McDonnell and Adrian Kearins had netted for the UCFL side.  In a tough encounter, St Canice's saw off Skerries Bohs 1-0 thanks to Barry Meehan's goal.

Carton Avenue and Schalke Rovers 2nds served up a nine goal thriller in the 2nd round of the LFA Junior Shield with Schalke progressing to the next stage on a 5 - 4 scoreline. The winning marksmen were Stephen Synott, Gavin Cahill (2), Kieran Furey and Andy Keegan.  In the same competition, Grant City were 2 - 0 down to Sportslink 3rds, before goals from Andy McGovern, captain Rory Breen, Mark Clifford and Kelvin McNamee gave the home side an unassailable lead at 4 - 2.  Sportslink managed to convert a late penalty but it wasn't enough to alter the result.

Pat O'Brien scored the only goal of the game as Stedfast Utd knocked out Strand Utd from the Nivea For Men Challenge Cup.  Greystones Utd from Div 2A pulled off an upset when they overcame Premier side FC Ailesbury in a penalty shoot-out.  The home side raced into an early lead courtesy of goals from Brian Allen and Chris O'Sullivan but were pegged back by two late second half goals from Ailesbury to bring the tie to extra time.  Both sides had chances but failed to wrap the game up and so the shoot-out loomed.  Greystones shone in the shoot-out as all four penalties taken were converted. Ailesbury were unlucky to see their second penalty come back off the post before Greystones keeper Stephen Brophy pulled off the save that sent Greystones through to the next round where they will have home advantage against another Premier side, Clontarf Athletic.  Dan O'Connell hit a first half goal for Orchard Celtic which was enough
   for his side to edge past Francis AFC.   Ardmore Rovers needed extra time to dispose of a spirited Lazio side on a 4 - 3 scoreline.  An Ian Doyle hat-trick had kept them in the tie before Brian Daly hit the winner in the first half of extra time.

In the Sidney Bedlow Cup, Siemens kept up their recent good run with a 5-1 defeat of Rialto Madrid.  Nicholas Hudson and Joe Boyle provided a 2-1 interval lead with Dave Norton and Mark O'Donohoe (2) embellishing the score in the second half. Siemens are now away to Moorfield in Round 2.

Amber Celtic are now 4 wins out of their last 4 games as goals from John Perry and Evan Kane gave them three points in Div 1 at the expense of Strand Utd 2nds.  Brayzil 2nd and Schalke Rovers shared four goals with Fergal Devlin and David Kynes on the mark for the home side and the replies coming from Stephen Hegarty and Conor Prunty.

Jody McDonnell (2), Jason Byrne and Brian Ellis with his first senior goal gave Glen Oaks a 4-2 victory over VEC 2nds in Div 2.

Woodside Celtic beat St Mary's 4 - 0 in 2B thanks to the efforts of Dan Quinn (2), Dane Ormond and Colm French.

AFC Justice garnered a welcome three points as they defeated Bohemians 4-1 in Div 3.  Paul Walsh (2), Cairbre O'Fearghail and Ger Madden did justice to the scoreline!

Gerry Browne's goal for Stedfast Utd 3rds wasn't enough to deny White Star Rovers in Div 3B as goals from Paul O'Reilly and Phil Coffey gave the visitors maximum return.