26/05/2019: MMI Cup Final: Atletico Malahide 3-1 Oldbury FC

Captain James Farrell receives the Cup from Liam Woods of MMI and Barney Blood of the UCFL
Glenn Cosgrove with his Man of the Match award

Atletico Malahide caused a mild surprise on Saturday afternoon when they captured the MMI Cup with a convincing victory over Oldbury, who had dominated Division 2 all season, winning the League itself with a number of games to spare and adding the Division 2 Shield title just 10 days ago.

Oldbury began the better of the two teams and appeared to have an early grip of affairs, but Atletico came more into the game and on 16 minutes, a neat move saw the ball moved to Glen Cosgrove with his back to goal on the edge of the area from where he effected a sharp turn to fire low into the corner of the net.

In a subsequently open game, Atletico now held an edge, but Oldbury were still well in the game at this point and their best chance of the opening half fell to Sean O’Neill who forced Atletico keeper Ronan Gaine into a fingertip save off the crossbar and out for a corner.

Atletico continued to look dangerous, especially when they attacked down the left where Andy Murray Perrick was a threat throughout that first half. Oldbury were hanging on a bit at this stage and Atletico took advantage of their dominance to double their lead before half-time. Oldbury failed to clear following a corner and Glen Cosgrove, ever alert, pounced to net his second goal of the game after 38 minutes.

Facing a 0-2 deficit Oldbury badly needed to pull a goal back before half-time and they nearly did so when Jamie Dawson reached for a cross but he got a little under the ball and headed narrowly wide.

With the advantage of the wind, Atletico Malahide were now in a very strong position and were able to sit back and play on the break, posing a continuous threat. Oldbury struggled to make much headway with the scoreline and wind against them, but they still managed to create a number of half chances. Michael Fay had one 10 minutes in, but Gaine was equal to it. Five minutes later, Nathan Osborne chased a brilliant through ball to get into a one-on-one with the keeper, but a combination of pressure from the chasing defender and the advancing keeper forced him to scuff his shot, allowing the keeper to gather.

Atletico remained dangerous, with everything seeming to revolve round centre forward Cosgrove. First, his header at the far post midway through the half was batted down by keeper Redmond before Oldbury managed to scramble the ball clear. A few minutes later he shot just wide from the edge of the area, before cutting in from the left and firing another effort just wide.

But with 10 minutes left, Atletico put the issue beyond doubt and, almost inevitably, it was Cosgrove who turned sharply before shooting from the edge of the area into the top corner for Atletico’s and his own third goal of the game, the ball taking a slight deflection on the way.

Oldbury finally got the goal their persistence deserved a couple of minutes later when Michael Fay latched on to a loose ball in the area to fire home a consolation goal.

Atletico Malahide – Ronan Gaine, James Farrell, Brian Whelan, Jack Murray, Glenn Cosgrove, Andy Murray Perrick, Stephen Bradley, James Quigley, Niall Gaine, Com Byrne, James McKenna Byrne. Subs – Conor Smith, Sam Horan, Josh McDonnell, Paul Ryan.

Oldbury – Joe Redmond, John Flynn, Jason Hedderman, Dan Gale, Darren Moore, Karl Gntley, Patrick Johnston, Niall Dunne, Aaron Clarke, Jamie Dawson, Sean O’Neill. Subs – Anthony Garland, Cody Benson, Nathan Osborne, Michael Fay, Regan McCabe, Stephen Kelly, Aaron Bracken.