Drumcondra celebrate with the trophy after the match
Jordan Briggs of Portmarnock receives his Man of the Match Award

17/05/2018: Drumcondra win MMI Cup as Portmarnock lose second final in 5 days

Just 5 days after going down 0-1 to Blackrock College in the Challenge Cup Final, Portmarnock suffered a second Cup Final defeat when they lost out 2-4 to Drumcondra AFC in a hard fought MMI Cup Final on Thursday night (17/052018) in Abbotstown.

For Portmarnock the most disappointing aspect will be conceding an equaliser with virtually the last kick of normal time and then missing a penalty to equalise seconds from the end of extra-time before Drumcondra broke upfield to score again in the final attack of the game.

Drumcondra took the lead with an own goal midway through the first half, but Portmarnock equalised just before half-time with the best goal of the game, Donal McDonagh’s brilliant first-time volley from a fine diagonal pass over the top of the defence giving the Drumcondra keeper no chance.

In an open second half, chances were surprisingly rare and it was two minutes from the end of 90 minutes before the next goal was scored. Jordan Briggs, who later picked up the Man of the Match award, must have thought he had won the game for Portmarnock when he put them 2-1 up, but Drumcondra came right back and equalised with the 90 minutes almost up, Jordan Lucca scoring the vital goal from close range after a corner had created havoc in the Portmarnock six-yard box.

Into extra-time and Portmarnock initially came closest to scoring, hitting the post at the end of the first period. However, it was Drumcondra who took the lead in the second period, a cross from the right being turned home by a deft touch from substitute James Kelly.

With time running out, there was still time for some amazing further twists. After a goalmouth scramble, featuring a couple of goal line blocks, including one by an attacking player, Portmarnock were awarded a penalty with seconds remaining. Unfortunately for another substitute, David White, he was unable to take advantage, seeing his penalty blocked by the Drumcondra keeper. Just to make sure, Drumcondra immediately broke upfield for Enda Coll to make it 4-2 and confirm Drumcondra’s victory.